It is important to think about texture when putting on makeup. A matte eye looks great with a bit of sparkle on the lip. The gloss goes well with a matte base. But sometimes shining upon shining is the way to go. In a recent TV appearance, Karisma Kapoor made the case for replacing matte red lipstick with a creamy and shiny option. The look, masterfully executed by makeup artist Kritika Gill, also featured shiny lids and lots of sparkle on the cheekbones. What makes it work? The T zone is velvety and without shine. If you want to try the look on yourself, here’s the step by step.
Get the look: Karisma Kapoor’s creamy red lips and shimmering eyes
- First, prep your skin with a moisturizing primer. Choose a foundation with a radiant finish and apply it with a buffing brush. Apply concealer where you need it and set your T-zone with a finely ground translucent powder.
- Use a bronzer to add warmth – a cream-to-powder formula like Huda Beauty Tantour (in a shade that’s right for you) is perfect. Apply it along the periphery of your face: temples, hairline, jaw line, and blended along the neck. You can also use it to lightly shape your cheeks.
- Take a palette of shimmering blushes and highlighter, like the Makeup Revolution Cheek Kit in Fresh Perspective, and apply the pink tint to the cheekbones of your cheeks. Next, blend the champagne shade across the top of your cheekbones and add a touch along the bridge of your nose.
- To copy Kapoor’s subtle glitter, choose a shimmering gold eye shadow like Hourglass Scattered Light Glitter Aluminum Eye Shadow and lightly press the creamy powder onto the eyelid and crease using your fingers. Add another layer if you want more shine. Then, with a liquid eyeliner like the Lakmé 9TB 5 Black Impact Eye Liner in Black, draw along the upper lash line and create a kitten effect.
- Define the waterline with a dark kohl pencil. Take a small amount of shimmering eyeshadow on a brush and sweep it along the lower lash line as well. Then curl your lashes and apply two coats of your favorite mascara.
- For a perfect red lip, start by drawing the shape along the edges of your lip with a scarlet lip liner. Then color inside the lines. Follow up with a crisp, creamy red lipstick like Estée Lauder’s Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Carnal. Use a lip brush for more precision. Dab with a tissue and pass a second coat over it.
- Fill your eyebrows with an eyebrow pencil and brush them into place. Finish the look with a hydrating setting mist to keep the makeup fresh and fresh.